The resophonic guitar was invented in 1925 by John Dopyera. At the time, amplification hadn’t been invented but venues – especially silent movie theaters – were getting larger and louder, and instruments couldn’t keep up.
In response, Dopyera created an instrument based on a spun metal cone, that worked much the way a modern speaker does, and was much louder than traditional instruments. The initial models were tri-cones. Production began in 1927, and they were very successful but after a few years the Dopyera Brothers formed another company named after themselves – Dobro. The National String Instrument Corporation continued until 1932, when the Dopyera brothers regained control of it and merged National and Dobro.
Showing the single result