U bent hier

» National Reso-Phonic

National Reso-Phonic

National Reso-Phonic makes uniquely American instruments. The resophonic guitar was invented in 1925 by John Dopyera. At the time, amplification hadn’t been invented but venues – especially silent movie theaters – were getting larger and louder, and instruments couldn’t keep up. In response, Dopyera created an instrument based on a spun metal cone, that worked much the way a modern speaker does, and was much louder than traditional instruments. The initial models were tri-cones. Production began in 1927, and they were very successful but after a few years the Dopyera Brothers formed another company named after themselves – Dobro. The National String Instrument Corporation continued until 1932, when the Dopyera brothers regained control of it and merged National and Dobro.

In 1989, National Reso-Phonic Guitars was formed by Don Young and McGregor Gaines, to re-create the historic National instruments – guitars in round and squareneck models, six and twelve string, single and tri-cone, biscuit and spider bridges, acoustic and electric, plus resophonic mandolins and ukuleles.